We love to incorporate rock or stonework into the landscape. There are so many varieties in the rocks themselves, and even more variety in the possibilities of using them to your advantage. Stone adds texture and contrast and requires little or no maintenance. Stones can be used for an assortment of purposes both decorative and functional.
Landscaping Stone Ideas
Natural stone or engineered pavers are available in a multitude of designs and colors to create walkways and patios that are durable and easy to maintain. Additionally, they add to the natural beauty of a backyard and create spaces for leisure.
- A beautiful large-rock retaining wall has timeless appeal. Plant perennials in the nooks and crannies of your rock wall and watch it come to life each spring and summer.
- Large slabs of landscaping rocks make a perfect outdoor “staircase”, safely terracing a sloping yard. The addition of the stone will prevent erosion and provide an anchor for plants.
- Combine form and function where pooling rain water is a challenge. Create a dry creek bed using rocks as a great way to remedy the water issue.
- An unusually shaped boulder can serve as a focal point in the landscape. Large stones can be used to add visual interest to a long hedge.
- Create a rock garden in a particularly dry area of the garden where other plantings may struggle. If you have a dry well or French drain and find it difficult to keep green, use rocks of different sizes and colors to create visual interest and plant hardy perennials to soften and provide height.
- A stepping stone path is an attractive option for shady areas where there is too little sun for most plants to thrive.
Using stonework, whether natural or an engineered product, adds texture, color, dimension, and usefulness to your landscape. It is durable, beautiful, and low maintenance. Further, by replacing areas of grass, it reduces the time and expense of maintaining that high maintenance lawn. We can help you with a rock-solid design.
We are proud to have been trusted by Michigan homeowners for over 38 years. To learn more about our professional landscaping services, click here. To view our portfolio of custom landscape design projects, visit this link. And please, don’t be shy to get in touch to learn more about our custom landscape design and build services. We would love to help you create your own little piece of paradise in Michigan.