I struggled with coming up with a year-end blog. I even thought about just repeating last year’s message. Who would know? I thought it was pretty good, so you could just read my blog from last year here.
But then it is hard to ignore that this is the season of giving. It’s everywhere: gift giving, gift wrap, gifts for her, gifts for him, last minute gift ideas… And I thought, hmm, it would be a good idea to take something this time of year too.
- Take a hike! Or a walk in the snow. You can curse the snow or get out and enjoy it.
- While you’re at it, take a hat.
- And take a pair of gloves to a warming center.
- Take a friend to lunch. Friendships need exercise to stay strong.
- Take a step back. Don’t get caught up in the frenzy. Enjoy it.
- Take the change out of your pocket or your cup holder and put it in a Red Kettle.
- Take it easy on the road; don’t let the traffic and bad drivers get to you. You know who I’m talking about.
- Take care of yourself. No sense waiting until you need to make a New Year’s Resolution.
- Take your relatives as they are. No family is perfect. Let it go. Smile and nod. Even despicable people have family.
- Take a moment to appreciate the lights in your neighborhood.
- Take time to thank the store clerk, your server, or the drive-thru person.
- Take a moment to smile at the strangers passing.
- Take time to push your snow blower another 50’ and help out your neighbor.
- Take a chance.
- Pay it forward.
So that’s a beginning. Whether you celebrate the 12 Days or 8 Crazy Nights or something else entirely, don’t forget to take as well as give this season.