When it comes to home renovation, the backyard is often an afterthought. But more and more, homeowners are thinking about this prime living space a bit differently. In 2020, outdoor contracting professionals, like landscapers and pool/spa installers, saw a large increase in inquiries. The new approach to yards as a room addition doesn’t end there.
The backyard is a necessity now more than ever. With increased time spent at home, it is not only an entertainment and recreation space, it is often our place to get away from it all.
And for good reason: Our health.
Getting outside, even for twenty minutes, has overall health benefits.
- Our immune system gets a boost, simply because we feel safer and more at peace.
- Study after study indicates that just breathing in nature helps clear impurities from your body.
- Thanks to the tranquil sights, sounds, and aromas nature provides, our cortisol and adrenaline levels tend to go down while outdoors, which helps to keep our blood pressure in check.
- Nature is naturally calming, primarily because of its effect on our hormones and immune system. And one of the most commonly demonstrated positive results of this is that it makes us calmer and happier overall.
- For people with attention disorders like ADHD, being in nature can slow things down, allowing them to focus better. Research shows that students who have more access to nature do better on tests and miss fewer classes.
One lesson we all learned from 2020 is that having limited interaction with others, especially in person, can be detrimental and downright painful. Having a comfortable space outside gives you many more opportunities for socialization, whether you’re talking with a friend, meeting a new neighbor, or hosting a family get-together.
And it’s healthy. Win-Win. We love creating special spaces.
When you’re looking for a better way to extend your living space and utilize this bit of prime area differently, ask, “What improvements will benefit me and my family?”
We are proud to have been trusted by Michigan homeowners for over 38 years. To learn more about our professional landscaping services, click here. To view our portfolio of custom landscape design projects, visit this link. And please, don’t be shy to get in touch to learn more about our custom landscape design and build services. We would love to help you create your own little piece of paradise in Michigan.